We woke up to 20cm of snow this morning, and for the first time this year it really felt like winter. Neither of us could sleep last night, it was like the silence of the snow falling down outside woke us up in the middle of the night. And so when I got up to go pee at 3am and took a peek outside, well it was all we could do to try to close our eyes and wait until morning. You see, we've been having a pretty grey winter here so far, very little snow, quite a bit of rain and the sunshine days have been few and far between. So today, today was a good day.
We've been doing quite a few early morning road trips, setting of in search of a little snow and adventure. And this is my favorite breakfast to have on the go - its what gets me up in the dark of the mornings! Prep it the night before for a quick and easy exit the next morning. Toasty buckwheat flakes, hazelnuts and coconut, soaked in sweet orange juice. Add whatever other extras you like, medjool dates, seeds, spices, and pomegranate seeds just make everything pretty! The variations are endless. This jar and some fresh snow make for a great start to any winter morning!
Rise & Shine Buckwheat Breakfast Jar
I'm not going to lie to you guys, this isn't a real recipe but more of an idea for you to take and make your own. My jar changes depending on what I have on hand, but the idea remains the same. If you can't find buckwheat flakes, rolled oats will work just fine. I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure grapefruit would be really nice here too! If you try let me know :)
The yogurt as a base is totally optional and not necessary, the buckwheat mélange is juicy enough. I added yogurt here to keep my belly full while hiking up mountains, this version is oh so tasty and totally vegan-tastic is you're looking for a dairy free option.
Amounts here will make 1 jar. Double the quantities to treat your co-pilot.
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flakes
- Small handful each coconut flakes and chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground cardamom
- Juice and pulp of 1 orange + water, if needed
- 1-2 medjool-like dates, depending on desired sweetness
- 1/2 teaspoon super duper add ins; chia seeds, psyllium husks powder, ground flax, ect.
- 1/2 cup yogurt of your choice, optional
- A happy sprinklin' of pomegranate seeds to top it off!
What to do
- Place buckwheat, coconut, chopped hazelnuts and sunflower seeds in a skillet over medium heat. Toast until toasty (duh!) and fragrant, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the spices near the end and remove from heat. Let cool.
- Place in a jar or bowl, add orange juice and pulp, add a little extra water if it seems to dry. Stir in the dates, and chia seeds (or other add ins).
- If using a jar, scoop the mixture on top of yogurt, then top it off with pom seeds and seal the lid.
- Refrigerate overnight and enjoy the next morning!